Top 5 Reasons I Love My Mom

Being a mom is not for sissys. It takes a lot of work. And it means giving up a chunk of your identity. I have to say that I was a little taken aback when I was first referred to as "Deacon's Mom." I mean, I'm Jamie, right? I wasn't used to being identified by who I am in relation to my child. Becoming a mom helped me realize that my mom wasn't just that either - Jamie's Mom. She's a wife, daughter, colleague, and friend. And once I could fully appreciate that, I could understand better how very awesome she was in her role as Jamie's Mom. In honor of Mother's Day, I have created a top five list of reasons that I love my dear mother. Read on.

5. She tells me the truth.....sort of. One awesome thing about my mom is that she will tell me like it is. This quality has saved me from much trouble and countless opportunities for reputation ruin. Never one to mince words, her two cents may have caused me some heartburn, but ultimately, they saved my rear end in many ways. Unfortunately, I didn't always heed her advice. That warning that I shouldn't perm ONLY my bangs in 5th grade? Not so much. I looked like a poodle with braces and enough baby fat for a family of five. So where does the "sort of" in this reason #5 come from you ask? Well, fortunately for me, mom tells me the straight up dirty truth......but only as much as I can take. Really, can any of us, as Jack Nicholson said, handle the truth? The hard truth, all the time? Don't think so. But my mom knows right where my line is. I think sometimes she thinks I think she is telling me the truth, but really I know there's a bit of sugar-coating. Or maybe not really sugar-coating, but Splenda-coating. Yeah, it's like Diet Truth.  

4. She is Superwoman. No, I am not Linda Carter's daughter. I am, however, the daughter of one amazing lady who could totally still pull off that Superwoman outfit. Now that I am a mom myself and know how difficult it can be to balance everything in life, I can more fully appreciate just how sacrificial my mom was with her time, energy and love. She worked outside our home all day and still came home and made a real, homemade dinner. And I don't mean Hamburger Helper, people. I'm talking the real deal. She had the laundry done every day. Our house was spotless. She came to every game, concert, recital, bake sale and car wash we were ever a part of. She took us to church. When I look back now and think of all she did for us, it exhausts me. In fact, I better go prop my feet up for a bit. Be back later. 

3. She is a wonderful grandmother. I am fortunate enough to live in the same town as my mom and that means that my kids get to see her often. When I was young, I couldn't wait to get away from this place, but now that life is the way it is, I would hate to ever leave. I love that my kids feel like her home is their home. I love that they have their own private jokes, sayings, things, etc. that are just between them. I am eternally grateful that my children are experiencing a life filled with the love of my mother. I am fortunate enough to have many wonderful memories of my grandparents and it brings tears to my eyes to know that my children will have the same. My kids are not only blessed by a relationship like this with my mom, but with Matthew's mom, too. 

2. She told us about Jesus and taught us right from wrong.  Many of my childhood memories involve being at church. Maybe singing in the choir, making a macaroni noodle angel ornament or trips to camp at Blue Lake. My mom (and dad) made sure that we knew who Jesus was and what he had done for us. The Truth was written on our hearts and minds from an early age. I know that a foundation was being built at that time to shape my faith today. My mom also had a saying - do the right thing for the right reason. It is a piece of advice that has stuck with me my entire life. Whenever I face a difficult choice, I always go back to it. She taught us that it is not just enough to do the right thing, but that our hearts and motives should be in the right place, too.   

1. She IS my mom. I love my mom simply by virtue of who she is in relationship to me. I am her child. From the moment we were born, she loved my sister and I unconditionally. Because we were hers. There was nothing that we could have done or not done at that point to have made her love us more or less. She has demonstrated her unconditional love for me throughout my life, and that is my relationship to her. I love her because of who she is. Because she is my mother. In the good times and the bad times. 

I hope that all 5 of you people reading this blog will take at least one minute today to let your mom know how much you love and appreciate her, even if she wasn't and isn't a perfect person. And here's the straight up, not diet, truth: You aren't either!

Comments

  1. So glad to see you have a blog! Can't wait to hear more about your life at home with two! Don't know if you knew, I have a blog that I keep updated fairly regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Bartek MorrisonMay 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

    Jamie- Maybe I could throw some of my "ideas" and thoughts your way and I can live vicariously through you...lol. A dual blog for moms. ha ha. You are amazing and I love this blog!!! p.s. I love all the kids that call me "hey Nick's mom" or "hi Jack's mom"....I think it is so endearing! You will hear it SO much as your two get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie-- I'm loving reading your blogs. I started one a while back but let it die because I just got too busy. You've inspired me to get back to it. You're right--- your mom (and mine!) is amazing. So are you. We're lucky that we had such amazing examples to teach us what it is to be a mother. Deacon and Miller are blessed to have you as their mom! Amy Bowden

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Forbidden Question

Baking Blunders

Raising Honorable Men