In Defense of the November Tree

We put our Christmas decorations up in the sweltering sun last weekend. Before the Halloween candy could even be properly sorted, we'd hauled down the boxes of lights and decor and quibbled over how many trees one person could possibly need. 

We needed some happy. Don't we all need some happy from 2020? Covid, division, fear, uncertainty, anxiety, death. Weird junk. 2020 hasn't met anyone's expectations. 

I like to theme out the Christmas decor in different areas of my house. Some brightly colored pastels here, a grouping of buffalo check wintry items there. But my tree is a constant reminder of the hodge-podge. The tree is covered with mismatched random ornaments collected over the years. 

The ones my great aunt gave me to help me "set up" my own tree as an adult. 
The ones my grandmother made for me, brought me back from Europe, and bought me based on whatever I was interested in at the time as a child. 
The ornaments bought as souvenirs from all of the trips we've been on in our marriage. 
All the "firsts" - marriage, baby, new home. 
Ornaments from precious friends over the years. 
Sticky popsicle stick creations from my children. 

Each ornament tells a story - of a person we love, of a time we recall fondly, of a full life and faithful God. 

We blared Christmas music as we decorated our tree. I was moved to tears as I hung ornaments and was reminded of all of the ways we have been blessed in our lives. That despite the hardships and pain of this year, we have so much to be grateful for. And as I decorated, I heard the words to one of my very favorite songs, O Holy Night.

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices. 

Oh, what a picture. The God of heaven chose to leave His throne and wade in the mess of this world. And through the mess of 2020, He is still with us.  

So, put the tree up early.
Revel in this season of joy and peace. 
Celebrate Emmanuel - God with us. 
Sit in the presence of the One who hears your heart and knows your need. 
Punctuate this year with the never-failing hope in the One who loved us enough to save us. 

And rejoice, weary world. Rejoice. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Forbidden Question

Baking Blunders

Top 5 Reasons I Love My Mom